Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Designer of the Month-Barbara Barry

Okay, it's officially March and that means it's time for a new designer of the month. I've chosen to highlight the beautiful and extremely talented Barbara Barry. This incredible designer has been my idol since I started design school...I think she was one of the first designers that really had an impact on me. I first came to know her work through my internship with the HBF commercial showroom in the Merchandise Mart. I was fortunate to work with both her furniture and fabrics and got to learn a lot about her as a designer (and meet her in person!!). Barbara Barry has a distinctive style which is both serene and elegant. Her interiors are a study in subdued colors reminiscent of those she paints in her watercolor studies. Her furniture and fabrics feature curved lines and sensual shapes. Ms. Barry has designed everything from residential and commercial interiors, furniture and fabrics, carpet, plumbing fixtures, dishes, crystal...I think you could furnish your entire house with her designs right down to the silverware and bedding. She comes out with new products at least five times a year and finds time to design interiors on top of it all. Since there are so many categories to cover, I thought I would focus on her interiors for this post and follow up with other posts on her product design in the coming weeks. So let's take a look at the beautiful interiors of some of the residential and commercial projects designed by the iconic Barbara Barry.











The Boxwood Cafe Restaurant at The Berkley in London...LOVE this restaurant's interiors!




The Savoy Grill, London (now closed-unfortunately)...



Banquette at the Savoy-This is still open!



That's it for this post but check back for more posts about this amazing designer.

1 comments:

GiDu said...

I love those interior spaces! Such a clean design and beautiful!